Best Grilled Fish Tacos
These healthy grilled fish tacos are fresh and flavorful meal for anytime. Top them with a creamy white sauce and slices of avocado. They are easy to make and ready in just 30 minutes, and the end result is always sure to impress. Grilled Fish tacos are so good, that you will likely even find seafood heaters loving them.
Table of Contents
How to grill fish for tacos?
Throw it right on to those hot grates, after seasoning. Few tips to know about grilling fish ;
The best temperature for grilled fish –
- Medium high heat to 450 degrees.
- First cook skin side down for 3 to 5 minutes . Then cook skin side up for 5 minutes.
- Fish is done when it starts to flake easily with a help of fork.
Don’t over-cook the fish on the grill !
Don’t overcook the fish on the grill because, it cooks pretty quickly on the grill. When it starts to flake easily with a help of fork, then it’s almost done. Remember one thing that it will continue to cook a little more after its taken off the grill.
What fish to use for grilled fish tacos –
Lean and flakey white fish fillets are traditionally used in fish tacos because they are mild in flavour, quickly cook and relatively inexpensive. Popular kinds of white fish for fish tacos include tilapia, mahi mahi, cod, bass, cat fish, halibut and cat fish.
There are lots of options, but here are my top suggestion –
- Mahi mahi : Mahi mahi is expensive and harder to find.
- Cod : Cod has beautiful mild flavor.
- Tilapia : This fish has mild, sweet flavor and tender flaky texture.
Best toppings for grilled fish tacos –
Toppings for grilled fish tacos can get little labor intensive, if you are not careful. We include only basic for this recipe,
- Fresh slaw – a quick slaw with red cabbage, carrot and lime juice.
- Queso fresco – If you love cheese in your tacos, it steps it up a notch.
- Creamy taco sauce –my favorite is, this fish taco sauce. It is just take 5 minutes to mix up.
How to make Grilled Fish Taco:
Best Grilled Fish Tacos
- 1 pound white fish fillets.
- 2 tablespoon bed fajita seasoning without salt.
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 1 green onion.
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage.
- 1 shredded grated carrot.
- 2½ tablespoon lime juice.
- ¼ Teaspoon each celery salt and kosher salt.
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 recipe fish taco sauce (Lime cream, chipotle sauce, cilantro lime cream).
Heat grill to medium high heat at 375 to 455 degrees.
On a clean towel pat the fish for dry. Then rub the fish with the olive oil and sprinkle with the kosher salt.
Then covered the fish with homemade fajita seasoning on all sides.
Until the fish releases from the grates, grill it over indirect heat for 5 minutes. Flip and cook another 3 to 5 minutes until the temperature is 130 degrees. When the fish is done and ready for serve, break it with a fork into pieces
Assemble the tacos by topping the tortillas with slaw, grilled fish answer top with chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
- Calories: 327kcal
- Fat: 22g
- Protein: 6g
- Fiber: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 26g
Follow my tips for perfect grilled fish tacos,
Highly recommended the homemade seasoning, it’s only take 8-10 ingredients. Make sure to serve with the filling side dish.
Why are fish tacos healthy ?
Fish is an excellent source of protein. Any fat that it contains is polyunsaturated and beneficial, including heart healthy omega 3 fat other vital nutrients in fish include iron, zinc and vitamin b12. Tilapia which is called for in today’s recipe for fish tacos also provides choline.
Why are they called tacos ?
The word taco it’s quite new. It originated from mexican silver miners in the 18th century. Tacos were known as the food of the working class which include miners.
What is so special about tacos ?
That because they offer a good balance of protein, fats and carbohydrates. Also they can be a good source of fiver, iron and calcium.
What country are fish tacos from !
First taco originated in California and Mexico.